Bega Eco Neighbourhood Community Housing Co-op Ltd
Bega Eco Neighbourhood Community Housing (BENCH) Co-op Ltd is committed to providing rental housing that is sustainable, not-for-profit and ecologically friendly, including composting toilets and solar hot water. BENCH’s aim is to further affordable and ecologically sustainable housing in the Bega valley.
Ten homes have been constructed at Bend in Bega by Community Housing Ltd (CHL), which is a private, not-for-profit, housing company using Government grants. BENCH has a tenant nomination arrangement with CHL. These tenants are members of the BENCH Co-op and also participate fully in the Bend Neighbourhood Association.
Information for Applicants
BENCH Co-op is committed to ensuring that the selection process for members of the co-op is fair, equitable, open to the public and consistent with the National Regulatory System for Community Housing (NRSCH). The purpose of the process is to select applicants who will possess the best skills and abilities to participate in the management activities of the co-op and be most compatible with existing members of the Bend Neighbourhood Association.
BENCH apply the following essential criteria:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- Be older than 18 years
- Be compatible with the mission, vision and values of Bend as described in the Bend Neighbourhood Association Management Statement.
It is our hope that the selection criteria lead us to the applicant who provides the best match between the needs of the tenant and supporting the co-op’s requirements for sustainability.
In particular we are looking for people who are:
- Committed to principles of cooperation and who demonstrate a willingness and capacity to actively participate in the management of BENCH.
- Able to demonstrate a willingness to actively live in an environmentally and socially sustainable manner.
- Aware of and committed to the responsibilities of membership including regular attendance at meetings of BENCH and Bend NA.
- Willing to actively participate in the Community requirement of 4hrs work per month.
Consideration will also be given to household size in relation to available properties.
If you wish to apply to live in a BENCH house, please download and complete the application form and return it to:
24 Millowine Lane
Bega NSW 2550
(please right-click on the link above and select “Save link as …”)
Once we receive your application you will be contacted by a BENCH member and will then placed on a waiting list. When a dwelling becomes available, interviews will be held.